LASIK and Refractive
LASIK in Montgomery
LASIK is a laser surgery designed to reduce the need for prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses by correcting vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. LASIK is the most well-known refractive surgery for vision correction.
Montgomery Eye Physicians’ LASIK Surgeon, Dr. John Swan explains LASIK.
Are You a Candidate for LASIK?
A majority of people who meet the age and general health requirements are good candidates for LASIK, but only a thorough exam can tell if LASIK is right for you. At Montgomery Eye, we want to ensure that each person is an ideal candidate before recommending any procedure, and we do this through our free consultation. We know LASIK is not the answer to every patient’s needs, and we want to ensure that each patient we see receives the best procedure for his or her individual needs—and help each one see life clearly.
If you meet these basic criteria, we encourage you to fill out the LASIK Assessment form below or call 334-272-2020 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
- You are at least 21 years old
- You are in good general health
- You have had a stable vision prescription for at least one year
- You have no existing eye disease
- You are not pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have no conditions that would affect wound healing (diabetes, lupus)
- Your hormones are not fluctuating due to a medical condition
- You are not taking medicines that may cause fluctuations in your vision
Hear from our LASIK Patients
Is LASIK Right for You?
LASIK has proven to be a safe and effective vision correction procedure for millions of people worldwide. However, LASIK is not for everyone. An excellent surgical outcome depends on highly credentialed surgical experts, the finest technology available, a knowledgeable staff and thorough pre and post-operative care, along with patient compliance. At Montgomery Eye, we track the outcomes of every patient that has vision correction surgery and will be happy to share those results with you.
Please contact our Montgomery LASIK experts at 334-272-2020 to schedule your free LASIK consultation. Let us help you make an informed decision regarding the vision correction procedure that will best suit your needs.
What are the Benefits of LASIK?
LASIK has quickly become the laser procedure of choice for most patients because of the quick recovery time, as well as fewer side effects and complications than with other methods of vision correction. The LASIK procedure is appropriate for a wide range of people who want the opportunity to experience freedom from glasses and contacts and enjoy a better quality of life. Clinical data shows that 98% of mild-to-moderate nearsighted patients, and almost three-quarters of all clinical study patients, could see 20/20 or better without glasses or contacts following LASIK.
Results You Can Easily See
- Crisp, clear vision without the need for contacts or glasses
- Most patients can expect 20/20 vision or better
- Reduced halos, glare, or other vision abnormalities
- Improved low-light/night vision
Enhanced Quality of Life
- Be less dependent on glasses and contact lenses – or even free of them altogether
- See details in the world around you that you missed before
- Save the money you used to spend on new glasses, lenses, cleaning solutions, etc.
- Pass your driving test more easily – and the opportunity to have a restriction-free license
- Enjoy active lifestyle/sports without the worry of losing a contact lens or glasses getting in the way
What to Expect During LASIK Surgery
Your LASIK Surgery – Custom Care at Montgomery Eye Physicians
At Montgomery Eye, we want to ensure that every patient knows what to expect the day of his or her LASIK surgery and that they are comfortable throughout the entire process. Your safety and care are of utmost importance to us, so we prepare you for the days prior to your surgery, the day of your surgery and the days following your LASIK procedure.
Preparing for LASIK Surgery
- Stop wearing contact lenses before surgery as advised by your doctor*
- Arrive at your appointed time for pre-operative preparation
- Wear comfortable clothing
- No makeup, earrings, perfume or cologne – no exceptions
- Eat and drink as you normally would before the procedure
- Arrange for someone to accompany you as a driver the day of surgery
- Plan for one to two days away from work, relaxing the day following your surgery
*Patients in hard contact lenses must be out of their lenses for three months prior to their pre-op exam. Patients in soft contact lenses must be out of their contact lenses for two weeks prior to their pre-op exam, no exceptions. The physician will convey any special circumstances requiring a longer period without contact lens wear.
What to Expect the Day of LASIK Surgery
Your LASIK surgery is an outpatient procedure performed in the Montgomery Eye Sturbridge location. Although the surgery itself is quick, we ask patients to plan to be in the office for about two hours.
Because your cooperation is important during surgery, you will be awake during the procedure. However, we do prescribe oral Valium to help you relax. Anesthetic drops will be used often to numb your eyes. The combination of the anesthetic drops and the blade-free technology allows for a pain-free procedure, one that should only take about 20 minutes.
Following your LASIK procedure, you will be given sunglasses and goggles to protect your eyes. Before you are discharged, your Montgomery LASIK surgeon will discuss your medications and activity restrictions.
Our very own LASIK Surgeon, Dr. In Shin explains what to expect for your LASIK surgery.